On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:22:28 +0100 (BST)
Len Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nothing but problems these days.  Hearing that pine is deprecated for
> Mandrake 9+ I thought I should try to get used to a graphical client
> and Sylpheed seemed the best bet.  It seems awkward after over 10 years
> of the simplicity of pine, but it is time to join the 21st century
> community I guess.  Postfix is running fine and picks up incoming mail
> no bother once kppp has connected (and boy is that slow! over a minute
> compared with the 4 or 5 seconds using a homegrown chat script on my
> old machine).  Sylpheed incorporates the messages OK.  The trouble comes
> when posting to the outside world.  "An error occurred" is reported;
> no indication what.  However, it might be related to the configuration
> for SMTP servwer (send).  What should that be?  The manual is too terse
> to be useful.  "postfix" did not work.  My .pinerc file lists
> "smtp-server=localhost", so I tried that.  Still no joy.  There are a
> lot of Sylpheed users out there - how did you do it?
>
> Waiting hopefully

Just go to Configuration > Preferences for Current Account > Basic and
under Server Information select None (local) and for SMTP server (send)
give your domain.

I'm using Sylpheed-Claws 0.8.2, but I think that config doesn't change
much from version to version.

HTH,
Todd