On 25 Oct 2002 10:22:17 -0500
Erik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 05:08, Len Lawrence wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestion but that is a bit advanced for me.  Might try it
> > in the future when I get a better idea of what is going on.  I would not
> > know how to specify the Demon SMTP server.  Although I have used WANs and
> > the Internet for over 25 years I am still clueless about networking of any
> > kind.
>
> In Preferences, Basic tab: -> SMTP (send):  smtp.tarazed.demon.co.uk
> (presuming that you are connecting to the internet through
> tarazed.demon.co.uk)
Yes.  tarazed is my POP3 account name at Demon and somewhere I have specified
the Demon gateway address for pppd.  All kppp needs is the telephone number.
It echoes an address something like gyle-du.95.access.demon.net when it connects.
I have never needed to know the address of the SMTP server.  That is all I know
about how my machine connects to the Internet.

You were suggesting that Sylpheed can be set up to run pppd and dial out and
fetch mail?  In other words it could replace postfix and kppp entirely?
Excuse me if I seem dense, but that's the truth.

Thanks again for your suggestion.
--
Len Lawrence