On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Todd Slater wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand your setup. Do you have a domain (like a static
> ip or an account with dyndns.org)? I'm trying to get at if your mail
> account is really local or a POP3 provided by your ISP. Comments below.
Yes, a static IP address (tarazed.demon.co.uk)

> > On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Todd Slater wrote:
> > >
> > > Just go to Configuration > Preferences for Current Account > Basic and
> > > under Server Information select None (local) and for SMTP server
> > > (send) give your domain.
> > Thanks Todd, I was already using None (local).  Have tried
> > tarazed.demon.co.uk
> > and 194.222.69.51 in the server field and sylpheed tries to send;
> > "sending from tarazed..." but always comes back with an error.
>
> If I understand you correctly, you are using an ISP--tarazed.demon.co.uk.
> If you try to send using that, it seems like you'd want that to be your
> SMTP server. How do you receive mail from tarazed.demon.co.uk?
I simply connect to the Demon gateway using kppp and POP3 authentication
and the mail comes down the line automatically, then postfix picks it up.
I have been using pine to view and send email, now trying sylpheed for the
same task.

> There
> > seems to be some activity on the line so maybe it is a problem at the
> > other end?  I have a POP3 account with Demon with the username tarazed
> > but in the SMTP authentication have specified the local user lcl with
> > the local password.  Is that correct?
>
> No, I think that for account type you want to specify POP3 and give the
> server, and the same for send; you should be able to find that out from
> your ISP--probably something like smtp.demon.co.uk.
Fixed it!  All I had to do was switch off SMTP authentication.

> The other thing is - should an
> > external program be specified for sending, and if so which?  Presumably
> > it should be whichever postfix relies on.
>
> No, don't specify external program for sending.

Thanks for your help, and everybody else who responded.
Now to find out why kppp takes nearly a minute to start dialling.
--
Len Lawrence