On Saturday 23 Nov 2002 11:04 pm, Technoslick wrote:
> I believe the same. Therefore, after having said what I did in my earlier
> post, I still would like to see us all look for fixes. There's so much
> talent coming here that I find it hard to believe we can't systematically
> find some direction in helping Mandrake resolve the idiosyncrasies, if not
> come up with the fix ourselves. Your comparison was perfect, to my mind.
> It's an intermittent problem that comes and goes, leaving some not
> believing the problem exists and others wanting to kick if for the trouble
> it has brought to them.

I've been thinking about this.  Is there any mileage in trying to make a mini
database, to attempt to find patterns?  For instance, I would think that the
things most likely to affect it are bios version, motherboard, cd, dvd, cd-rw
and floppy - you may be able to add others.  Since most of us will know
little about the floppy drives, we would have to discount this and
concentrate on the others.

If we, for instance set up a thread with column headings for each of these,
could those who have problems add their details - make, drive speed etc?  If
any similarities emerge it would perhaps give Mandrake something to go on?

Just a suggestion - if it's impracticable we could think again.

Anne