On Saturday November 23 2002 08:21 am, Franki wrote:
> normally I'd agree with you, except that the drive in question is a
> nearly new 48X...
>
> and I also have a brand new 50x that has the same problem..
>
> but like I said, I upgraded to 2.4.20-0.2mdk kernel yesterday, and it
> all seems good now..
>
> That would seem to indicate software wouldn't it??
>
> especially since I never changed the fstab lines created during
> mandrake install...
>
> when you rule out the obvious, whatever is left, no matter how
> unlikely is the problem...

    No, even brand new CDrom drives have problems. I'll restate the bit
about CD-RW's having 'better' lasers (and spindles). As to 48x and 50x,
I've found the the faster drives tend to have more problems. Civileme
stated much the same in a post some months ago, stating that anything
over 12x actually caused a degredation in reading [my paraprhase]. For
his exact words you'll need to search the newbie archive. Sorry, I
can't begin to remember the subject of that thread. I wouldn't go as
far as 12x, but if I were lookin for a new drive I'd try'n find a 24x
from a quality vendor (eg, Plextor).

   2.4.20-0.3mdk was on the mirrors this morning. I'm compiling it for
athlon as I type.  There has been nothing about supermount fixes in any
of the 2.4.20 kernel change logs. Mostly increased ACPI fixes, which
seem to make the laptop people happy, but have brought some complaints
from others. Most often about nVidia. You might wanna add  acpi=off  to
your lilo append line if you experience any issues.  Also, IME, until
new kernels get at least over patch level 10 or 12, expect some issues.
It would probly also be a good idea to search the recent cooker archive
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker&r=1&w=2    before usin
the latest and greatest cooker kernels.