Dennis Myers wrote:

On Sunday 24 November 2002 05:26 pm, Paul wrote:

Hi all,

I know this is off topic, but perhaps a hardware guru has a tip for me.
Usually my PC is on and running 24/7. This weekend I switched it off
(friday) because I went to London. This evening (Sunday) I switched it on
again. Somewhere in POST, it switched off and a led started blinking as if
it had gone into sleep-mode or something like that. After a restart, boot
went into Mandrake boot and during load of postfix it switched off again.
This repeated about 12 times, each time in a different place. Also, at
least 4 times, the CMOS CPU speed setting was wrong (900 instead of 1200
Mhz). Very worrying was when the PC switched off during fsck-ing a
partition. (Of course, partitions get bashed when the system powers down
during boot.) The last boot (clearly) worked, although it took over half an
hour to check all partitions (some EXT2, some EXT3).

Who has a clue what could trigger this weird hardware behaviour?
Thanks,
Paul

This is a wild guess, but check your RAM it could be going to the dark side. HTH

You say your computer is on 24/7 , then it's not really suprizing that
it took you half an hour to complete fsck, after all you're doing something
the equivelant to defragging your filesystem. I think that is also a clue
to your second problem, since fsck takes resource, there's a lot
of numbercrunching to do, I guess you overloaded it. I , like you,
tend to leave my computer on much of the time but I take the
opportunity when convenient to reboot just to get regular fsck's,
otherwise you build up a bigger and bigger job when you do.
I bet you go in and out of your spare partitions as well so
they will have to be fsck 'ed , and the computer counts the
number of times you access these partitions too. No, I don't think
you have anything wrong, it's just the system's way of telling
you to do it more often, that's all.

John

--
John Richard Smith