Hi John,

I am not worried about the time it took to complete the fsck. After all,
when I do a normal reboot, after 15 or so of these, it also takes that long.
My main problem is that the computer won't start up regularly after being
switched off for a while. I thought it might be the backup battery on the
mainboard that is playing up (since the cpu speed is messed up) but then the
rest of the settings remain fine.

>opportunity when convenient to reboot just to get regular fsck's,
>otherwise you build up a bigger and bigger job when you do.
>I bet you go in and out of your spare partitions as well so
>they will have to be fsck 'ed , and the computer counts the
>number of times you access these partitions too. No, I don't think
>you have anything wrong, it's just the system's way of telling
>you to do it more often, that's all.

I tend to reboot the machine every week, just for security's sake. And to
avoid unnecessary checking.
Thanks for the info, anyway  :)
Paul

--
Genius is one percent inspiration
and ninety-nine percent perspiration.

http://nlpagan.net    -    Linux Mandrake 8.2     -   Sylpheed 0.8.6
Help Microsoft combat software piracy: give Linux to a friend today!