RichardA wrote:

On Friday 06 December 2002 14:41, John Richard Smith wrote:

Are you sure it's a formatting problem,because these links,
http://list.cobalt.com/pipermail/cobalt-users/2000-November/027942.html
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0009.1/0140.html
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0210.1/1615.html
suggest it may be something to do with reading the disc.

John

John,

The errors in those posts are indeed the same as mine, but I don't think my problem is a disk too big for the bios, because I've had 8.2 running on it all year.
I think their errors were 'can't see sector, disk shouldn't be that big', and mine is 'can't see sector, disk is corrupt'.
I hope I'm wrong, so I'll try the diagnosis utility Tom mentions.

Richard

Yes , I guess you are right , I didn't notice the difference, still I find it hard
to believe a 3 year old fujitsu drive is about to fold. I suppose it could not
be something else.Possibly something to do with measurement. Have
you used different partition tools on the drive.Maybe it doesn't like
the way the partition table is written.

John

--
John Richard Smith