On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 01:36, Martin L. Johansen wrote:

> That's an easy one..: Quanta Plus from KDE3

Yeah, that's what started all this trouble. Over 8 hours to finally get
it installed, after having to figure out that Mandrake was lying to me.
And now, more hours to get the modem working again....  :/

> Pick me! Pick me! I know this one... You left MS for something way
> better :-)

Actually, I was dual-booting with W98/RH 7.4, and didn't want to spend
time getting all my toys working under RH. They work under MDK just
fine. Too bad so much other stuff doesn't. I would probably been better
off getting everything working under RH.

> I know MS is giving you less greef, but Mandrake gives you so much more
> besides greefs.

It's got a long way to go before it's OS/2, though. At least for the end
user. Sure, with server applications, Linux rocks. But to use as a
desktop OS, it fails miserably at this point.

> After a few weeks of MDK'ing, I'll never go back to MS as my primary OS.
> Right now I only use MS for playing games and watching the DVD's that
> my stationary won't play.
>
> Give it a try!

After a day of MDK'ing, I've experienced more frustration than I have
since someone slipped a disk with the stoned.empire.monkey virus into my
W95 machine about 5 years ago.... I didn't give up then, either.
Although the "experts" told me after 48 hours I'd done everything
possible, and that the only resolution was to buy a new HD.

Kept at it, and salvaged that HD. And for what? A 1 GIG Quantum Fireball
isn't worth anything now. Well, except that I've ghosted the HD from my
father's Slackware router to it, for the next time he thinks things
scrolling on the screen (trying to reconnect after the ISP has dropped)
means he has to hit the reset button...  :/

Yes, I am a bitter man. I miss my OS/2, and I want it back, dammit!  >:|