On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:42:05AM +0000, Derek Jennings wrote:
> On Monday 09 Dec 2002 3:09 am, Todd Slater wrote:
<snip>
> > Not related to gcc but gtk2+, pango, and a few other packages--would urpmi
> > work for that, too? If I have apps compiled using the older gtk (1.2), is
> > an upgrade going to mess them up?
> >
> > I hosed my system once trying to upgrade these packages, and am debating
> > about whether to move to 9.0 or wait for the next release. I just want to
> > run the new ROX, but I can't!
> >
> > Todd
>
> No. because the 8.2 sources do not have gtk2.0 in them.
> To run Rox 1.3 you will need gtk2.0, and in order to get that installed you
> will have to update an awful lot of packages.
>
> I would recommend going to 9.0  There is always a better release "just around
> the corner". In my experience 9.0 is just great.
>
> Rox 1.3 is very nice, but if you run Fluxbox/Blackbox there is a conflict
> between the Right mouse button between them that means that running the Rox
> pinboard is more trouble than it is worth IMO. So now I run Rox with the
> panel instead.
>
> derek

Thanks for the info, Derek. I just want ROX for the filer. I do use it
as a desktop/session manager for my daughter, but to use certain window
managers (like Metacity and fvwm4) I need GTK2.0 for those, too. For my
purposes, my current setup is functional. But I will upgrade soon
because I have really been bit by the customization bug!

I hated the look of that ROX panel when I used it. Have you looked at
idesk? Several people on the ROX list have mentioned. Some have said
it's a pain to set up, but great once you've got it going properly.

http://linuxhelp.hn.org/idesk.php

Todd