On Monday 09 December 2002 08:55, Ray Henry wrote:

> Yeah, that's what started all this trouble. Over 8 hours to finally
> get it installed, after having to figure out that Mandrake was lying
> to me. And now, more hours to get the modem working again....  :/

Bummer :/ Here my Quanta worked from day one. Have you installed your
dist. from 3 CD's or only the first one? If only the first one, then
I'm not surprised that your having problems.

> Actually, I was dual-booting with W98/RH 7.4, and didn't want to
> spend time getting all my toys working under RH. They work under MDK
> just fine. Too bad so much other stuff doesn't. I would probably been
> better off getting everything working under RH.

Nah, Mandrake is better. Many things are easier under MDK as Redhat tend
to be a little to MS'ish.

Eg. the missing Mp3 support is a big no-no if they wanna survive the
battle. MDK is gaining in on the market.

> It's got a long way to go before it's OS/2, though. At least for the
> end user. Sure, with server applications, Linux rocks. But to use as
> a desktop OS, it fails miserably at this point.

I have never tried OS/2, so that I can't say, but Linux as a desktop OS
would be better IF...the hardware manufactures would go support it!
Somehow MS is the only one exisiting in their universe, and it's a
pitty.

But the way it is now, desktop with Linux could be easier, but it aint
impossible :-)

> After a day of MDK'ing, I've experienced more frustration than I have
> since someone slipped a disk with the stoned.empire.monkey virus into
> my W95 machine about 5 years ago.... I didn't give up then, either.

That's the problem: 1 day only.

I said the same thing as you did the first week, I nearly cried myself
to sleep (well not exactly, but you get the point), then I started
hanging out at freenode and all my greefs became burried one after the
other. Help in this universe isn't so far away.

> Although the "experts" told me after 48 hours I'd done everything
> possible, and that the only resolution was to buy a new HD.

hmm.

> Yes, I am a bitter man. I miss my OS/2, and I want it back, dammit!
> >:|

:-) Smile

The Linux community would be a better place for newbies if, as said
before, the manufactures would recognise Linux as an option, and the
same with the software developers.

If MSI/nVidia made a driverset equals the Windows ones, I wouldn't have
to use Windows for TV-Out (I know it's possible under Linux, but last
time I tried my X setup went to the basement, and I haven't tried
since).

And if the game producers made Linux ports the way UT 2003 is for eg.,
then I wouldn't have to boot MS.

But it's coming! It takes time though.

MS has it's place in the world, but 3500DKK (that's app. 430USD) for a
Windows XP Pro.. that's way to much when MDK9 comes for free and does
the same, if not better.

--
Martin L. Johansen
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)