tar.gz is a tared gzipped file as is tgz. the command to uncompress and extract
the files is:

tar xzvf some-tar-gzipfile.tar.gz

tar: it is the basic command

x: tells it to extract the files
z: tells it the file is gzipped and it needs to gunzip it
v: tells it to be verbose
f: tells it to use the file you give it

To tar and gzip a file using the tar command do this:

tar czvf some-tar-gzipfile.tar.gz source

c: tells it to create

--
Brett Jones
[EMAIL PROTECTED]