On Monday 16 Dec 2002 7:04 am, Len Lawrence wrote:

> Not at all sure what is going on in your system Anne - from your posts
> it would appear that SCSI emulation is working.  Does /sbin/lsmod list
> scsi_mod and ide-scsi?  The earlier tip about mounting the partition
> is important (/dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1 rather than the device /dev/sda
> or /dev/sdb).

Tried that - got device /dev/sdb1 does not exist.

> My serial digital camera needs to be set to SETUP for downloading images.
> Does PLAY correspond to SETUP on your camera do you know?  PLAY sounds
> correct; could mean playback.

The manual only gives instructions for windows, of course, and is extremely
sketchy as to what is going on.  My old camera had to be in playback mode, so
that is what I tried as the most likely, though I have also tried it in
record mode.  All the book says is 'switch on'.

Setup is one of a series of menus, one item of which is usb mode, which needs,
according to the book, to be set at dsc.  I've done this.

> As for the error messages from your LS120 without the medium, that is
> probably normal.  dmesg gives similar warnings when my JAZ disk is not
> loaded.  Any type of drive supporting removable media should report
> the same when the storage medium is absent.  Are you saying that the
> LS120 is not working any more or have you just now noticed the
> warning messages?

Later this morning I'll try rebooting with a disk in the LS120 to see what
dmesg says about it.  It used to work until I screwed up, trying to get a
card reader working.  It's recognised again now, but I haven't a clue as to
why it works now but didn't.

My latest experiments, based on John's comments that auto is almost as good as
supermount, has got it working now, apparently, but I don't have an automatic
mount and manual umount, as his post seem to suggest.  I can live without
supermount, though it is undoubtedly convenient when it is working.

What is more annoying is the constant need for a root terminal to mount and
umount.  I thought that by having 'user' in the fstab statement it would do
away with that, but I still get the message that only root can mount.  Here's
the line as it stands at the moment:

/dev/sda /mnt/LS120 auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-15,dev,sync,codepage=850,suid,umask=0 0 0

Can you see anything wrong?

Anne