Title: RE: [newbie] StarOffice install sequence (next to Open Office)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Andrei Raevsky
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 1:05 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] StarOffice install sequence (next to Open Office)

Hi,

After an amazing 12-hours (!) download on my slow connection, I finally got
my hands on the new StarOffice RPMs. I downloaded the following ones:

1) staroffice-common-6.0-5mdk.i586.rpm
2) staroffice-en-6.0-5mdk.i586.rpm
3) adabas_en-6.0-1mdk.i586.rpm

I understand that the first one is a common module, the second one a
language-dependent module, and the third one a database.

Now, in what order should I install these?

Is there any special syntax or would a

"rpm -ivh nameofthepackage.rpm" do?

Last but not least, I have OpenOffice 1 installed and running on my computer
(Mandrake 9). Is the installation of the "related" StarOffice going to cause
me any problems, or can they both run side by side without any problems.

And I suppose that any StarOffice installation has to be done as "root"
right?

Thanks for your help. I don't have access to any Mandrake CDs and my
connection being slow, crashing my system would be a major problem so I
rather be just a little paranoid and ask for your advice.

Many thanks!

Andrei

I would do it thus, put them all in one file folder in your /home directory called "star" or something like that.
then from a console do su and root password and then type cd /star and at the next prompt type "urpmi *.rpm" and it will install all three or list unresolved dependencies. The urpmi prog will decide the order of install. HTH  Dennis M.