Richard Babcock said:
> Greetings,
> I was just surfing the Wal-Mart site and found them hawking an OS called
> Lindows. Anyone know anything about this? It seems they are working hard
> to convince neophytes that Windows is good but not that good. I just
> don't like the approach and am disappointed in Wal-Mart for taking it.

Lindows has been around for a while.... in fact you've probably heard of
them before but might not remember.  They had a working relationship with
codeweavers to help with wine on lindows, until a licensing disagreement
concerning the codeweavers work, ended up causing them both to go their
seperate ways.

A couple years back lindows claim to fame was that they were stating all
windows applications would run under lindows.  This of course was a grand
over statement on their part, but it almost entirely relied on the work
code weavers was doing for them.  Once the licensing issues started to pop
up and code weavers left, they had to dramatically scale back there
assertions.

Lindows is okay, but the thing I don't like about it, is you run under
root all the time.  You log in, you're root!  It's as much Windows98 as
you could possibly get in linux I think, but with one big exception...
under windows98 you can't delete active system files while they're in
use.. you can under linux.  Not good for run of the mill home users.
Oiyh!

Anyway, Walmart also sells Mandrake and one other OS with their
base-bottom prices systems.. forget which one though.  If you're lookign
for a starter linux disto, I'd recommend Lycoris instead.

Anthony