ABM:
-------
"The dissolution of the former Soviet Union during the autumn and winter of
1991 required the United States to re-evaluate the bilateral treaties that
had existed between the Soviet Union and itself, including the ABM Treaty.
(1) Both President Bush and President Clinton operated on the general
principle that the treaty rights and obligations of the former Soviet Union
had passed to the successor States [....]"

"As the Legal Adviser to the State Department during the Bush Administration
explained,

    [a]s an operating principle, agreements between the United States and the
USSR that were in force at the time of the dissolution of the Soviet Union
have been presumed to continue in force with respect to the former republics.
What is the legal basis for adopting this position? Except for the Baltic
states, which the United States never recognized as part of the Soviet Union,
we regarded the emergence of Russia and the other former republics to have
stemmed from what was essentially the complete breakup of the Soviet Union.

[AND MOST IMPORTANTLY:]
Thus, continuity of treaty relations is supported by our reading of state
practice, and by policy considerations underlying this rule. Perhaps most
importantly, however, continuity has been supported by the republics
themselves, who affirmed this approach in the Alma Ata Declaration when they
guaranteed the "fulfillment of international obligations stemming from the
treasties and agreements of the former U.S.S.R.[...]"

[comments in Brackets made by me]
link: http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/abmjq.htm

apart from that:
Ban of B/C Weapons:
------------------------------
"Monday May 21, 2001

The Bush administration has found another international agreement to spurn.
This time it's a draft agreement to enforce a 1972 treaty banning biological
weapons, an agreement backed by Britain and other European countries.

The protocol took six years to negotiate and established measures to monitor
the ban on biological weapons. It was a follow-up to the 1972 treaty,
ratified by 143 nations, which bans the development, production and
possession of biological weapons."

link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/bush/story/0,7369,494257,00.html

On Friday 10 January 2003 06:39 pm, Kelley Jernigan wrote:
> Why is it that people miss that the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty was
> made with a country that no longer exists?
> Any treaties that are made with any country that ceases to exist are null
> and void automatically.

< I cut the rest >