On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 14:32, Mike Larson wrote:
> Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> > Whew, what a mule blinder perspective.
>
> Hi, Lyvim. I am not familiar with the term "mule blinder perspective",
> but I assume it is a derogatory term for anyone that disagrees with you.

I was raised in the countryside of the coastal plain of the Atlantic
side of the US, which is a very beautiful place to be from, btw.  In our
region, it's not a derogatory term, it's used (evidenly only by peeps
from my area) to describe what the panorama of a scene looks like when
your peripheral vision is blinded, and you can only see what's ahead.  I
often use the term to describe my mental state to others when I'm
diagnosing hardware or some system problem.  Mule blinders are
excellent for solving problems because your concentration is enhanced
and sharply focused; however they not good for social occasions when
more than one person is there and the conversation wanders from topic to
topic.  In your case, I used it to describe your apparent consideration
of the Mandrake dilemma from a select negative pov.

> I said above "feel free to disagree", not "feel free to be insulting".
> However, often the written word can be misinterperated and if I have
> done so here, I apologize. :-)

No insult meant, I assure you; it was only descriptive.  And no apology
is needed; it is evident I did not moderate my text enough.  As I said,
my friends hear "mule blinders" from me alot.

> To clarify my views: I like and use Mandrake and do think it will
> survive and come out of this stronger. However, I will wait for the
> situation to settle out before I send any more money to Mandrake.

I believe it is your right to do with your money just as you please,
just as it is my right to go out and buy an SUV with mine if I like, no
matter what certain wacko twits might say to the otherwise.  A person's
money is their money and THEY make the determinations about it.  That's
one reason I'm definitely a Republican, and best buddies with
Libertarians.

> > Where to start on this; guess I'll just pick a place.  Like this:
> >

> >>Money sent now will go to old debts and be a waste if you are trying to
> >>help Mandrake.
> >

> > Money that they recieve is controlled by a judge and HE has the say so
> > about where it goes.  One of the first places he looks at is the
> > EMPLOYEE PAYCHECKS.  So this statement is more than just false, it's a
> > distortion of the facts.
>
> Calm down Lyvim. It is OK to disagree with me, but I think it is
> unnecessary to accuse me of distorting facts.

Here we might part ways for a bit, however; because as you stated above,
"Money sent now will go to old debts and be a waste".  While some money
sent will go to old debts, not all money sent will go to old debts.
This to me is definitely a distortion of the facts; but then you also
say that it will be a waste.  Now admittedly that is obviously an
opinion; however it is just more inflammatory in regard to how things
really are legally.

> > The stockholders losing money is contingent on two things:
> >
> > 1)  Chapter 11 protection does not work and the company is liquidated.
> >
> > 2)  Chapter 11 does work and the company's stocks never increase.
> >
> > Chances are that if the company does survive, then at some point the
> > stocks are going to go back up.  That means that  the stockholders that
> > have not sold out still stand a chance to profit.
> >

> Lyvim, you sound like a stockholder, hoping your investment will
> rebound. I understand, and believe me, I have been there. I hope
> Mandrake does well and the stock does also.

I'm not a stockholder (yet) but I wish I was, because I do believe in
the company.  In another way I'm glad I'm not one, because then I am
certain that people would point at me and say that my pov was tainted
and that the reasons I was taking the time to write all that I have
written was because of selfish reasons.  I write what I write because I
believe it, not because I stand to get monetary gain.  Further, I
believe that Mandrake will help the human race at large; because of
statements like that, oftimes in the past I've been looked at as an
employee of Mandrake; I'm not.  And if I was, I feel strongly that it
would be used as a weapon against me to obfuscate the things that I do
state, which admittedly are kinda strong things at times.  But that
merely reflects the passion with which I do believe, which comes from
knowledge and life experiences, and is not some kind of rabid
thoughtless fanaticsm born out of chaos or misinformation.  Or worse
yet, liberalism. ;)

> My example was Worldcom and I doubt very much that their original
> stockholders will ever regain even a small fraction of their prior
> value. I do not know what will happen with Mandrake, nor am I familiar
> with the French version of bankruptcy the filed. In the WCOM case,
> remaining employees continued to be paid. However, money owed to laid
> off employees (severance packages, etc.) was considered unsecured
> debt. The judge had to approve any such payments, and they were
> reduced considerably.
>
> Let's just keep our fingers crossed for Mandrake. I am sure we will
> learn more in the near future. Then we can all make informed
> decisions.
>
> Mike

Can we smoke the peace pipe now?  ;)

--LX

--
Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.2