On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 23:05, Dennis Myers wrote:
> I find that an "opposing point of view" always helps me focus on my own
> perceptions and reasoning behind my point of view.  This is one of those
> articles that helped me focus. I agree that the so called value of Mandrake
> Club is minimal for goods but not for services. It serves to bring a certain
> feeling of ownership and respect for others in the Mandrake community.  Value
> in the boxed set of Power Pack that I have is huge, compared to MS windows
> offerings. I have Star Office which costs $79 us on the open market and 1200+
> other apps which I can access at 400MBS instead of the 20Kbs  over the
> internet.  I have a tangible finished product in my hands that looks better
> than the 3 cd's I d/l'd before I bought the box. (shallow I know) and I have
> the satisfaction in knowing that I am helping in my own small way to keep
> some talented people gainfully employed, even if overworked. Sooner or later
> the past errors in judgement catch up with us all, what is important is how
> we deal with the present and not moan and groan about the past. MandrakeSoft
> is dealing with the present and I wish them the best. It is not easy to be
> competitive in their business and in these times.   I will stick to the end
> or the start of the beginning whichever it may be. Fade out with anthem and
> setting sun...........: )
> --
> Dennis M.  linux user # 180842

True enough; there was actually value in some places of this article.
One thing that I carried away from that article was a very enhanced
impression of Vincent Danen.  I had no idea that he was flaming the
midnight oil out the firehose like he was, or that he was an employee of
Mandrakesoft.  This man really needs to get some recognition for what he
has done for our community, in much the same regard that Todd needed
some recognition.  What's the use in working your a$$ off and nobody
knowing about it?

That's the kind of thankless treatment that runs people off.  It's bad
enough to work for substandard pay but still maintain a high standard of
excellence, but it's completely unacceptable to be doing that and yet be
unrecognized for it.  This may perhaps be the REAL reason for the Ben
Reser article.

--LX

--
Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.2