On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 03:34, Ralph Slooten wrote:
> Hiya all again,
>
> My webserver is running portsentry, and has, on a daily basis been
> blocking and banning all connection attemps from an Australian IP,
> running on the connect.com.au network.

Ha! It ain't me! (g)

> -= Reason for the block =-
> Port-scanning on port 635
>
> -= What is relevance is Port 635 =-
> Name: ADM worm
> Aliases: ADM Inet w0rm, Linux.ADM.Worm,
> Ports: 21, 23, 37, 53, 70, 79, 109, 110, 111, 113, 143, 513, 514, 635,
> 31337 Files: Admw0rm-v1.tar.gz - 7,427 bytes Admw0rm.tgz - Admw0rm -
> 1,725 bytes Gimmeip - 545 bytes Gimmerand.c - 314 bytes Incremental -
> 765 bytes Named_admv2.c - 5,892 bytes Remotecmd.c - 4,098 bytes
> Scanconnect.c - 1,483 bytes Startup - 670 bytes Testvuln.c - 4,299 bytes
> Created: May 1998 Requires:
> Actions: Worm / Rootkit / Backdoor
> Registers:
> Notes: Works on Unix (Linux). Affects Linux RedHat 4.0 to 5.2

Whoever is running RH 4 - 5.2 surely ain't done any of the security
updates/upgrades...

> I'm presuming this is a dial-up system, as there aren't too many Linux
> systems running those old versions of Redhat, but it maybe someone's
> server or something. My guess is that it's someone on this list trying
> to access my webserver http://axljab.homelinux.org:8080/ on a daily
> basis, as it's some coincedence that I get 1 block every day from the
> same network.

After looking at http://www.connect.com.au, I'd reckon this person is on
a dial up as well - because if they were using ADSL, they'd have a
helluva time getting RH 4 - 5.2 to work on it...

> IP: Well, there is no real point in publicising the IP, as every day
> it's different (hence the dial-up theory), but in total about 75% of all
> my blocks / bans come from the connect.com.au network.
>
> It doesn't bother me, but it may be bothering you as I'm sure my server
> won't be the only one blocking/banning all connections from you, so the
> better option is to find and get rid of this problem.

Mate, have you considered reporting the IP to administration at
Connect.com.au? Because being that this is against their "Acceptable
User Policy", whoever the culprit is would be sent a nasty email from
them stating that there's a problem on their machine...ya reckon?

> Please, if any of you are on this network, and suspect you may be
> infected, or are just worried if it's you, contact me (privately), and
> we can see if we can find a solution for this.
>
> As to the security breach of this trojan, I'm not sure. But it's not
> good anyway, considering it's a trojan ;-)

All trojans are bad - and this is how "ancient" bugs are kept alive to
this day. This affects the entire online community and community members
should do their best to alert the "culprit" in a nice manner...

> Look, I may be wrong, as it may be the ISP itself, but before I alert
> them, I think you guys concerned should maybe have a browse around and
> check it ain't you.

Mate, if YOU don't want to alert them, I'll be more than happy to both
write them and call them (they're in my state - even though they're a
sad ISP - but gives me someone to yell at)...ha!

--
Sun Jan 19 07:15:01 EST 2003
  7:15am  up 2 days, 16:58,  4 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.21, 0.18

I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race,
in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals.
                -- Thoreau