I think asking questions here is about the best way to learn what ever you
don't know about computers and OSs, no question too dumb to be answered by
more questions.
I would stay right here, and if one day we disappear (heaven forbid) instead
of debian or RH (they seem, to me anyway, to be not as tolerant of neophytes
as we are here) consider yopa. it is a new distro for th desktop, and while I
have not yet had a chance to check it out, it comes highly recomended by
folks I have learned to trust. On this list, I think it was "YAMA", Sridhar
Dhanapalani, that thought this was a good distro, and every other bit of
advice he gave was right on the money.