Well I did the same but came back to the rpm way.

The problem is that everything is in a different place, has a different
name, there is way to much to learn before doing the simplest thing.

I also found that the debian community had a different mind set...

And the clincher is that hardware isn't always auto installed.

I had lots of usb troubles etc.

However the deb package rocks.

I was just spending way to much time fiddling with the os and very
little time getting anything useful done.
Aaron