On Monday 27 January 2003 03:07 am, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 13:29, Chris Edwards wrote:
> > More info follows:
> >
> > Trying to install VMware-workstation-3.2.0-2230-i386.rpm on a Mandrake
> > 9.0 system.
> > I am newbie enough not to understand how to load kernel sources/headers.
> > I do know enough to get around on the command line and even attempt the
> > make, install, config routine.
> > I also know about texstar and rpmfind as usefull resources.
> >
> > What would be my first steps at installing VMware?
>
> You should be able to get the kernel sources installed via the Software
> Manager - and you may as well also install some of the developer stuff
> too - because you're going to end up needing some of the other gcc
> headers and source - believe me. Anyways, if you can't find the kernel
> stuff in the Software Manager, it's mostly on CD3 - and it's labled as
> kernel sources...
>
> I think that someone mentioned a nice way of installing the rpm's so
> that they automagically install the dependencies as well - any help
> y'all?

(leave out the quotes)

"urpmi <filename.rpm>" in terminal super user mode in the directory that
contains the actual RPM; or from a source that the software manager
recognizes as a source. eg.: any of the ftp mirrors for Mandrake, texstar,
cooker (don't do it!), kde, or almost any site that you can point urpmi to
for an hdlist.cz. OK? The easiest is just change directories to the one
holding the rpm and go. I just add a /downloads directory in /home and
install from there. At least I usually do when I'm playing with something
other than cooker or a beta. :-)

> Meanwhile, once you get that bit out of the way, the installation of
> VMware is rather easy. You run "vmware-config.pl" and follow the
> instructions (do this in a terminal window). Once that's done and it's
> installed properly, break out with a Win98 bootable installation CD and
> start VMWare (however you want to start it - just typing vmware in a
> term gets it going) - follow the wizard through how to create a virtual
> IDE drive and all that cool jazz, then once you've setup the virtual
> environment, click the "power on" button, make whatever changes are
> necessary to the "virtual bios", and begin the installation of your
> Win98 - this is a good starting point because after you mess with it
> enough you'll be confident in installing other biggies like WinXP and
> Win2k, or even like I do with loading other linuxes in VM's - even OS/2!
> (Never really got my BeOS going - but it's not like I'll cry over that
> one)

Regards;
--
Charlie