On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 19:48, robin wrote:

> LOL.  I think software piracy is a minor issue compared to the fact that
> we have a populous country with a lousy economy (I suspect concerns
> about human rights, the role of the military etc. are a convenient way
> to avoid talking about this issue openly).
>
> Still, software piracy is massive here - often even the copy of Windows
> you get with a new PC is pirated. Software sells on the street for about
> $3 per CD, so you're talking around $15 for a pirated MS software suite
> - cheaper than a Mandrake boxed set, but more expensive than buying
> Linux on the street.  Computer magazines often provide Linux distros (I
> got 7.2 and 9.0 like that, the latter being a stripped-down one-CD
> version).
>
> BTW, $3 is not a negligible amount of money here - you can get a pretty
> decent meal for that.
>
> Sir Robin

Mmm....maybe I should enroll in one of your classes, Sir Robin - and
motivate my physical self there...I've always wanted to do some digging
around Turkey...(barring nuclear strikes by US Armed Forces)

--
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 20:00:00 +1100
  8:00pm  up 22:57,  4 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.25, 0.29

                `O' LEVEL COUNTER CULTURE
Timewarp allowed: 3 hours.  Do not scrawl situationalist graffiti in the
margins or stub your rollups in the inkwells.  Orange may be worn.  Credit
will be given to candidates who self-actualise.

        (1) Compare and contrast Pink Floyd with Black Sabbath and say why
            neither has street credibility.
        (2) "Even Buddha would have been hard pushed to reach Nirvana squatting
            on a juggernaut route."  Consider the dialectic of inner truth
            and inner city.
        (3) Discuss degree of hassle involved in paranoia about being sucked
            into a black hole.
        (4) "The Egomaniac's Liberation Front were a bunch of revisionist
            ripoff merchants."  Comment on this insult.
        (5) Account for the lack of references to brown rice in Dylan's lyrics.
        (6) "Castenada was a bit of a bozo."  How far is this a fair summing
            up of western dualism?
        (7) Hermann Hesse was a Pisces.  Discuss.