On Wednesday February 5 2003 04:12 pm, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 February 2003 09:03 pm, Charles A Edwards
> > I just installed it today using rpmdrake on my 9.0
> > machine.
> >
> > Do you update your update_source before you checked for
> > updates?
> >
> > Also the Announce just went out today so it is possible
> > that it is not on all the mirrors yet, I use nuplug.
> >

> >     Charles

> Thanks Charles. Yes, I run *urpmi.update -a* as a chron job
> every day. You are probably right about the mirror-thing,
> so I'll try again tomorrow (it's a little late over here).

    The primary mirrors are often updated on the hour. It'd probly be
a good idea to run 'urpmi.update -a' just before you try again

> Still though, I don't understand the *update* - term.
> Shouldn't kernels be *installed* ?
>
> I'll sleep on that one.

    I think somebody already mentioned it, but urpmi (which is what
the GUI pkg managers run) was modified sometime back (8.x ?) because
so many people were ignoring the warnings NOT to Upgrade, but to
Install kernels.  To see if your version is so modified, look in
/etc/urpmi/ and inst.list, as Mandrake installed it, should look like
this,

# Here you can specify packages that need to be installed instead
# of being upgraded (typically kernel packages).
kernel
kernel-smp
kernel-secure
kernel-enterprise
kernel-linus2.2
kernel-linus2.4
kernel22
kernel22-secure
kernel22-smp
hackkernel

    As far sa the term 'update', when you Install a new kernel,
haven't you updated your system?   update != Upgrade