FemmeFatale wrote:
On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 04:25, Adolfo Bello wrote:

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 23:56, Russ wrote:

Hi All,
<Snipped out prev post>

IF what you want is to have quick access to data in a drive, you can
symlink to the mount point, like:
ln -s /mnt/disk /a
ln -s /mnt/windows /d
ln -s /mnt/cdrom /e

However, I would recommend you to unlearn that Window$ crap and stay
with the linux/unix file system way.

Now now dear, that windows crap (as you call it) is still useful. Everyone needs to learn one way or another & no way is wrong. Not even
Windows methods. They're just different, albeit some are more efficient
than others. And your linking suggestion is very good for beginners &
experts alike if it helps them get around in their preferrred
environment(s).
I usually put symlinks in all users' home directories - I think whatever file manager they are using, ordinary users should never have to go outside their home directories (of course they do go outside as soon as they click on that symlink, but it doesn't feel like that).I don't use the Windows letter system, though. There are all those people out there claiming that Windows is so "intuitive" compared to that "difficult" Linux OS, but I can't for the life of me see how "a:" is more intuitive than "floppy".

Sir Robin

--
" Like these cutters, and hackers, who will take the wall of men, and picke quarrells."
- G. Pettie

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi