On 10 Feb 2003 16:43:25 +1100, Stephen Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 16:28, Russ wrote:
> > I like to know where things are. Example, what files are on the /
> > partition, or the /usr, /var, /home. I just like to know what I am
> > playing with.
> >
> > Russ
> >
> > On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 20:24, Todd Slater wrote:
> >
> > > For normal operation, why do you need to know what partition stuff is on?
> > >
> > > Todd
> >

> Ok - here's a simple one for ya:
>
> / - the root of all the filesystem. DON'T put anything here - it's the
> top of the hierarchy
>
> /bin - basic binary programs/utils for the system (don't use this
> neither)
>
> /sbin - other system binaries (sbin - system binary)
>
> /lib - system libraries
>
> /usr/bin - the basic binaries for all users to use - you can put
> programs in here
>
> /usr/local/bin - same as above
>
> /usr/share - repository of all your programs OTHER dependant bits -
> except for libraries and includes
>
> /usr/lib - program libraries
>
> /usr/include - program includes
>
> /tmp - temporary crap
>
> /var - system variables and other program necessary information (and
> other cool things like ftp root and web root)
>
> /usr/X11R6 - the root for the XWindows system - sometimes things can go
> under here - but let the programs decide where they want to go so you
> don't break things.
>
> /home - the users home directory root - your personal root directory is
> here - and whomever else has an account on your machine.
>
> Does that make it a bit more, er, graphical? (g)
>
> Cheers!

It helps to know what the directory names mean, so that you may better
understand their functions. To rephrase what Stephen has written above (and to
add a few more):

bin - binary executable

sbin - system binary executable

lib - libraries, sort of like DLL files in Windows.

include - programme includes

share - components shared between apps, excluding libraries and includes

tmp - temporary files

etc - 'et cetera'. Various config files for the whole system.

var - variables

X11R6 - The X Window System version 11 release 6.
        In Mandrake, this means XFree86.

local - Stuff intended to run only on the local system. Normally, you won't
        access this stuff from another system or OS installation.

opt - 'Optional' stuff. In some other distros (like SuSE), this is where desktop
        environments like GNOME and KDE are installed. Mandrake (and Red Hat,
        Gentoo, etc.) considers these to be part of the core system, so they are
        installed in /usr instead.

root - The root user's home directory. It is stored in / instead of /home to
        allow a root login even if /home (which is often stored on a separate
        partition) is inaccessible.

home - user data

usr - Contrary to popular belief, this does _not_ stand for 'user'. It does, in
        fact, stand for 'UNIX System Resources'. Most apps go here.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]

                Without C, We would only have Pasal, Basi, and obol.