On Wednesday 12 February 2003 03:17 pm, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> > If you are still on 8.2, you must have missed the fact that the new
> > rpmdrake was introduced in 9.0 to quite favorable reaction.
>
> Favorable reaction where, exactly?  I haven't seen any and I've scanned
> all three lists.  There's one thread on Expert regarding this titled

I just recall many discussions on a.o.l.m back during beta testing of 9.0
discussing this very thing, with some people liking it and some people hating
it.  I also recall the Cooker discussion during the development process that
spelled out quite clearly why this was a positive change.  A lot of naysayers
were convinced during that discussion, which is why it changed.

> "Re: [expert] rpmdrake 9.0, a step backwards :(".  This thread contains
> the major commentary on this subject that I've been able to find.  In
> addition to that there is also no support for your "favorable reaction"
> theory when you look at the votes on the RPM Voting pages for
> rpmdrake-1.4-18mdk.  It's gone all the way to page 2 out of 10 and as of
> right now is up to 47 votes.  After today it will be 49 cause I will be
> casting my two cents in the wishing well.
>
> Among the dissenters on the thread above in the Expert list were Dale
> Huckeby, Toshiro, David Guntner, Franki and Piero Piutti. James
> Sparenburg made the following excellent point:
>
> "Ok now the discussion has gone on to the point of creating two equally
> problomatic camps.  My question is there a middle gournd.  Can the UI of
> old be merged with the codebase of new.  The answer is yes."
>
> Of the ones that were *for* the new rpmdrake, there was Todd Lyons
> alone; and I was unable to discern anybody else in the thread that made
> it clear that they were liking rpmdrake 2.1.  Bottom line is that I find
> no basis in reality for your statement concerning a "favorable
> reaction."

The people that don't like a change are always the most vocal about why they
don't like something, which is why when you go back and look, the evidence
will always point to the dissenters outweighing the people that like it.

Take the recent discussion about the new mdkkdm as a case in point.  I
personally hate it and think it should go away yesterday.  You, however, may
like it and think it is the best change Mandrake ever made.  The Internet is
full of posts from me making a case for why it should be gone, but because
you may like it, you didn't say anything.

> >   I think it is here to stay.
>
> And I think it depends on the votes.  And it should.  THAT should be the
> determining factor, and not some arbitrary tyrannical decision handed
> down from an ivory tower.

I don't think a development decision made by the company that pays for the
development a tyrannical one, and this was definitely not arbitrary.  I also
think Club voting was put into place in order to determine if fluxbox or
blackbox goes on cd1 or 2, not determine the development direction of the
Mandrake Tools.  No matter how many people vote to put nVidia drivers in the
distro, they won't go in.

- --
Greg