On Wednesday 12 February 2003 04:54 pm, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> Well, I've done searches within the newbie and expert lists for
> "rpmdrake" and I see almost no vocality on a positive note for rpmdrake
> 2.1.  This isn't from memory, this is from a hard search for "rpmdrake"
> thru all emails I have.  My lists here date back to 1999.  I saw no
> naysayers convinced in the discussions on the expert list, may they come
> here on this thread and correct me if I am wrong.  And if they still
> don't like rpmdrake 2.1, I'd appreciate hearing about that as well.

Well, these two lists are not the only place that this distro is discussed.
There are reviews all over the net, and the old MandrakeUser.org, the new
mandrakeusers.org, pclinuxonline, a.o.l.m, etc.  And I am also referring to
discussions I have had privately with people.  If you limit your review to
these two ML's, you don't get the whole picture.  In fact, several others
have already posted in this thread about their satisfaction with the program
in question.  So you cannot say there is no support for it either.

> > The people that don't like a change are always the most vocal about why
> > they don't like something, which is why when you go back and look, the
> > evidence will always point to the dissenters outweighing the people that
> > like it.
>
> Perhaps or perhaps not; I think it varies with the situation.  Be that
> as it may, the point was "favorable reaction", and not " the statistical
> weight of dissenters".  On the point in question I maintain that there
> are historically almost no peeps pushing rpmdrake 2.1 according to the
> list mail. Except maybe the developers.

And they made their case well and many of the dissenter's stood down because
of it.  You're not acknowledging that many of the original dissenter's came
on board.

> > I don't think a development decision made by the company that pays for
> > the development a tyrannical one, and this was definitely not arbitrary.
>
> 1) The customers pay the company that pays for the development.

Only if they like what they are getting, except of course for Microsoft
customers :-)

> >   No matter how many people vote to put nVidia drivers in the
> > distro, they won't go in.
>
> That debate concerns licensing issues and has nothing to do with
> rpmdrake, which btw is a Mandrakesoft creation and is already included
> in the distro, where the Nvidia drivers are *not*.

Yes, it is an exclusion by policy, and the codebase for the old rpmdrake
violated current development policies for the distro.

I can only suggest to you that if you feel that strongly about the ui of
rpmdrake, get in touch with the rpmdrake team and help create a better ui.  I
don't think any bitching or discussion, especially on this list, is going to
get it back, and I am simply being practical about it
- --
Greg