John Aldrich wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> > i just got mandrake 6.1 installed and running great.  i am trying to
> > customize my system performance a bit.  i have been removing unnecessary
> > system daemons from the startup.
> >
> > i cant find docs on these:
> > inet
> Don't disable this....all your internet functions are run
> through this daemon

Actually, that is one of the first things I turn off on home machines.
I don't host telnet or FTP sessions on this machine, so there's no use
in taking any risks.  Apache runs outside Inetd, so don't let that stop
you from shutting Inetd down.
--
Steve Philp                     "The Internet is like crack
Network Administrator            for smart people..."