On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 15:53, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:

> Yeah, well keventd is one or other KDE prog starting up AFAIK. So there is
> something starting up and not working as it should, probably konq I'd guess.
>
> Usually, if I get suspicious of KDE in general I start up an Icewm-session
> (because of the cpu activity gauge bottom left) just to be sure.
>
> Simple enough, if the cpu load is significantly lower (in Icewm) KDE is the
> chief culprit. Frankly, it usually is ........due to it's very nature trying
> to 'feel' like windows/xp.
>
> Actually, your 'empty' /boot directory after the power failure is IMO much
> more discerning.
> I've had quite a few self brought on catastrofes untill now, but never
> something like that. Tell us more!
> The more gory details, the better!;o)
>
> Good hunting,
> HarM

I am just googling around and finding information about keventd.

Until now I have found this piece of information:

<fromgoogle http://www.scs.ch/~frey/linux/kernelthreads.html>
depending on the context of the creator of the threads the new threads
may inherit properties from the parent you do not want to have. The new
version avoids this by having keventd create the threads. The 2.2.
kernel do not have a keventd, so this approach is not implementable
there
</fromggogle>

That's the reason why I don't have problem with 2.4.19 and have always
had with the 2.4.2 series.

Now I have to find out what might be causing keventd to overload my
processor the way is doing it.

With regard to damaging the /boot partition I didn't gather any
additional information. I just reinstalled 9.0.

Saludos
--
    __
   / \\   @       __     __    @   Adolfo Bello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>