On Monday 24 March 2003 21:41, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 07:35, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> > I noticed with 9.1rc1 that KDE insistantly used about 80% cpu whilst only
> > the Windowmanager (i.e. no extra prog's) was running. In Icewm no such
> > problem. On my desktop (P4) this was no real problem but my laptop wasn't
> > useable to my liking.
>
> ...have you tried this from a system runlevel of 3 instead of 5? You
> might find that the overall overhead is decreased significantly by
> booting into runlevel 3 and manually starting your Xwindows sessions -
> and the WM doesn't eat up all that resouce/cpu time...

I have/do on the laptop (never into 5)  but it still isn't good enough to keep
it for work i.e. trustworthyness.
The P4 desktop is for everyone here, so that's KDE (and 9.1) to keep 'm all
happy .....especially teen-age daughters who are trying to co-erce MSN.

Never knew about Xtart though, thanks for the tip and thanks to civileme for
making it.

Good luck,
HarM