On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 06:42, Miark wrote:

> While I agree that it's far more effective to burn at slower speeds, I
> disagree with limiting the speed to any number. My rule of thumb is the
> lower of half the speed of either the drive or the media. Drive is 42X and
> media is 40X, I burn at 20X. Drive is 32X and media is 40X, I burn at 16X.
> I think this is a fair balance between speed and safety.

I have a cool rule of thumb that works like a charm:

* If someone's impatiently waiting for you to burn a CD for them, set
the burning speed to x1. Show them the progress. Hopefully, they will
leave and come back later. If you truly despise them, accidentally burn
the "Reader Rabbit" ISO image instead of the data they're really
wanting.

* If a really beautiful woman is waiting for you to burn a CD for them,
set the speed to x1, make them snacks, give them wine or champagne,
explain that you're burning it slowly so the data integrity is perfect,
like they are, woo them with mystical command-line utilities, let them
play with the webcam a bit - and do whatever comes naturally.

* If you're apathetic, stick in the blank, make the fs on the disk, take
it out, label it, and say - Oh, yeah, my drive is x100 - it's really
fast - here ya go, see ya later!

--
Wed Mar 26 06:50:00 EST 2003
 06:50:00 up 4 days, 17:37,  4 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.04, 0.08
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808                 |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389            |
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU   |
 linux user:267497 * MDK 9.1 * PC/Mac/Linux/Networking/Consulting
 machine no:194239 * RH 7.3 * Sales - Service - Support - Tutor
** This messages was composed on a 100% Microsoft free computer **

 Professor: No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it.