On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:35:16PM -0500, Guy Rouillier wrote:
> Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > During boot, it takes ninety seconds to start up devFS.  Is this normal?
>
> I have a slightly faster system (dual Pentium 233 MMX) and yes, DevFS
> takes forever during boot.  Don't know why.  I've been thinking of
> disabling it, but I haven't figured out what it does yet.

My system runs about as badly with and without DefFS.  It seems to be a
new way of organising device files, with symbolic links for
retrocompatibility.  It is supposed to really shine for USB
devices.  I have no such devices.

It's really easy to remove if you use lilo.  Just remove the line that
refers to it.  Only, just to be sure you don't lose everything, copy the
lilo paragraph you use and make the change in the copy.  That way you
will have a boot-time choice, and can choose the old scheme if the new
one fails.

Doing thie sped up the boot process a little, but had no effect on my real problems.