On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:54:58PM -0500, et wrote:
> what does "cat /etc/hosts" say? what does "cat /etc/resolv.conf" say is DNS
> runnig? named? ypserv?

Thanks.  You have given me a few leads. Here's an incomplete reply.
/etc/hosts:

10.0.0.10               topoi.pooq.com topoi
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
172.25.1.1              topoi.pooq.com topoi

/etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 204.101.251.1
nameserver 209.226.175.223

I don't recognise these nameservers.

Looks like something I could fix.

I certainly haven't asked to have a DNS or a YP running, but I presume
installing 9.0 will have set up some kind of default.  It's certainly
my intention to have DNS running eventually, but I still haven't
configured it.  I'll check whether I'm actually running DNS, named,
or ypserv when I next get to boot Mandrake again (this machine is used
as internet gateway by a number of others, so I can't just reboot and
check it right now.

But so far, while runnung Mandrake, the net connexion is off.  Could it
be that mounting a CD requires a net connexion?

Does MCC require a net connexion?  Is it not possible to configure
a stand-alone Mandrake system?

-- hendrik