On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 17:31, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> > > Thanks.  You have given me a few leads. Here's an incomplete reply.
> > > /etc/hosts:
> > >
> > > 10.0.0.10               topoi.pooq.com topoi                      <--
> > > 127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
> > > 172.25.1.1              topoi.pooq.com topoi                      <--
> > >
> > This looks strange to me.  I would have thought that it was being told to look
> > in two places for topoi, which would  certainly confuse it.  FWIW I had huge
> > problems with massive delays, and it turned out to be just this sort of
> > problems, so stick with it.
The file /etc/hosts is a way of avoiding name lookups for hosts that you
already know their IP's. In this case the entry with the IP 10.0.0.10
seems absolutely irrelevant given that you know that topoi.pooq.com is
associated with IP 172.25.1.1. I would take it out. Unless you have
those two IP lan addresses hooked to topoi. In any case, you just need
one local IP address in your box /etc/hosts to access topoi.

> I understand.  I'm baffled, though, what IP numbers have to do CDROMs.
>

> > What IP did you give for your nic?
>
> Two network interface cards: one for the outside world, which has
> pppoe running on it through a DSL modem, and whose IP number is
> supposed to be irrelevant (and which I suspect has been set to
> 10.0.0.10 by some agent in the Mandrake installation code), and
> one for the LAN, which is 172.25.1.1.
I don't think it is set by any Mandrake agent.I think it is either a
left over of some previous tests or configuration changes or the
external DSL router is translating (NAT) the external IP to a non
routable one, which is just fine.

> The IP number that the pppoe link provides is fixed as 216.138.195.194,
> but of course that's only valid after the link is up.
>
> Right now I don't have a DNS running on Mandrake yet.  Do you know of
> any way to give a different IP number for topoi,pooq.com for users on
> the LAN and users fron the rest of the world?
If your LAN is small enough all you have to do is to add the following
line to every box /etc/hosts:
172.25.1.1      topoi.pooq.com topoi
(if you have Windows machines, the hosts file is located in
\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\)

If your LAN is not small, you better set an internal DNS server for the
pooq.com zone.

>   Or dous routing somehow
> automatically know LAN packets for 216.138.195.194 hav arrived when the
> arrive at 172.25.1.1 and don't have to visit the other interface?
>
> Anyway, the proper IP number for topoi.pooq.com is 216.138.195.194, although local
> users can use 172.25.1.1
>
> -- hendrik
> >
> > > /etc/resolv.conf
> > >
> > > nameserver 204.101.251.1
> > > nameserver 209.226.175.223
> > >
> > > I don't recognise these nameservers.
It doesn't matter, as long as they work. To check that they do enter:

host <any-external-host-like-www.google.com> 204.101.251.1

If it is working you should see a line saying something like:
<the-external-host-you-entered> has address x.y.z.t

HTH

--
    __
   / \\   @       __     __    @   Adolfo Bello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>