On Thursday 27 Mar 2003 9:31 pm, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 09:57:58AM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks.  You have given me a few leads. Here's an incomplete reply.
> > > /etc/hosts:
> > >
> > > 10.0.0.10               topoi.pooq.com topoi                      <--------
> > > 127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
> > > 172.25.1.1              topoi.pooq.com topoi                      <--------
> >
> > This looks strange to me.  I would have thought that it was being told to
> > look in two places for topoi, which would  certainly confuse it.  FWIW I
> > had huge problems with massive delays, and it turned out to be just this
> > sort of problems, so stick with it.
>
> I understand.  I'm baffled, though, what IP numbers have to do CDROMs.

I think that it's because whenever your system tries to read anything, it
quickly checks all its references, to see which ones are relevant.  In my
case it was a hostname error that was causing the problem, but the result was
a boot up that took 3-4 minutes, and every click on any icon or file manager
entry took over a minute to activate.  Resolving the hostname problem cleared
the speed problem immediately.

> > What IP did you give for your nic?
>
> Two network interface cards: one for the outside world, which has
> pppoe running on it through a DSL modem, and whose IP number is
> supposed to be irrelevant (and which I suspect has been set to
> 10.0.0.10 by some agent in the Mandrake installation code), and
> one for the LAN, which is 172.25.1.1.
>
> The IP number that the pppoe link provides is fixed as 216.138.195.194,
> but of course that's only valid after the link is up.
>
> Right now I don't have a DNS running on Mandrake yet.  Do you know of
> any way to give a different IP number for topoi,pooq.com for users on
> the LAN and users fron the rest of the world?  Or dous routing somehow
> automatically know LAN packets for 216.138.195.194 hav arrived when the
> arrive at 172.25.1.1 and don't have to visit the other interface?
>
> Anyway, the proper IP number for topoi.pooq.com is 216.138.195.194,
> although local users can use 172.25.1.1

I'm out of my depth here, Hendrik, because I don't have this kind of setup.
As I read it, 216.138.195.194 is your outward facing ip address, and the
router then redirects the packets to the appropriate lan address according to
the table it keeps, so I'm not sure what the second nic is doing.  I don't
know how a dsl modem works, but in my router I have the choice of enabling a
block of ip numbers for the router to allocate as a dns server, or
maintaining a static nat table for lan ip numbers.  Perhaps someone with a
dsl modem could chip in here?

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302