On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 09:57:58AM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 Mar 2003 10:28 pm, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:54:58PM -0500, et wrote:
> > > what does "cat /etc/hosts" say? what does "cat /etc/resolv.conf" say is
> > > DNS runnig? named? ypserv?
> >
> > Thanks.  You have given me a few leads. Here's an incomplete reply.
> > /etc/hosts:
> >
> > 10.0.0.10               topoi.pooq.com topoi                        <--------
> > 127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
> > 172.25.1.1              topoi.pooq.com topoi                        <--------
> >
> This looks strange to me.  I would have thought that it was being told to look
> in two places for topoi, which would  certainly confuse it.  FWIW I had huge
> problems with massive delays, and it turned out to be just this sort of
> problems, so stick with it.

I understand.  I'm baffled, though, what IP numbers have to do CDROMs.

> What IP did you give for your nic?

Two network interface cards: one for the outside world, which has
pppoe running on it through a DSL modem, and whose IP number is
supposed to be irrelevant (and which I suspect has been set to
10.0.0.10 by some agent in the Mandrake installation code), and
one for the LAN, which is 172.25.1.1.

The IP number that the pppoe link provides is fixed as 216.138.195.194,
but of course that's only valid after the link is up.

Right now I don't have a DNS running on Mandrake yet.  Do you know of
any way to give a different IP number for topoi,pooq.com for users on
the LAN and users fron the rest of the world?  Or dous routing somehow
automatically know LAN packets for 216.138.195.194 hav arrived when the
arrive at 172.25.1.1 and don't have to visit the other interface?

Anyway, the proper IP number for topoi.pooq.com is 216.138.195.194, although local
users can use 172.25.1.1

-- hendrik

> > /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > nameserver 204.101.251.1
> > nameserver 209.226.175.223
> >
> > I don't recognise these nameservers.
> >
> Could they be your isp's dns?

No.  They aren't.  I wonder where they came from.  Mind you, one of them may have been
my ISP's DNS a long while ago; they have recently suffered a merger, and they DNSes
they tell me about now are different from anything I've got configures anywhere on any
OS.  So this is definitely something to change.

I'll probably have some time tomorrow to try out all this stuff.

-- hendrik