Nope, it's not about money. I could drone on about all of the GREAT things about Linux and OSS (Open Source Software) in general but that has been covered by the list already. All I can say is try it, I mean really try it. Try it for 6 months. Try to NOT use any MS products for that 6 months. I am certain that the benefits will be self explanatory after that time.

Regards,

Jason

PS, My PERSONAL reasons for using Linux/OSS:

Freedom - the freedom to use, modify and in general, play with my software with a level of transparency simply not available with Windows.

Modifiable - Being able to modify most things on my computer through simple, text editable text files, without the worry/hassle of a "registry" of any kind.

Value/Cost for performance - in my experience, Linux and OSS offer a price for performance return that Windows doesn't even come close to.

Community - I like being part of a community of my choice, rather than being a slave to a company in Redmond that uses my net's back channel to report my usage behaviors and buying decisions - all for my own supposed benefit.

Helping others - I can help others by introducing them to Linux for almost no cost without feeling like I am "stealing" and without fear of getting caught "pirating"

Stability - the feeling that I can do almost anything to/with my PC and not have to worry about lock ups or slowing system performance. No need to do a "general" reboot every few days/hours just to keep my system fuctioning normally.

Security - I know EXACTLY who has access to my computer and when, and I can easily control it.

Choice - I have PLENTY of money to buy MS software, thankfully I have the CHOICE not to, which I gladly exercise.

Interopability - I can use software that adheres to global, well documented and open computing standards instead of using software that has its own "standards" that don't play nice with anyone else's, forcing me to use that, and only that software.

Zariyan Zephyr wrote:
As a Linux newbie, I don't really understand why people in Europe and
North America has chosen Linux for daily use. I think people in Europe
and North America can afford Microsoft Windows and application
softwares under Windows. It isn't about money, is it ?.

ZZ