I guess it is partially about money for me. A few years ago when I knew
almost nothing about computers I was more or less forced to buy a computer
with windoze 98 installed, to the best of my knowledge that was the only
thing available on any name brand computer and I sure did not know enough at
the time to build my own at that time. I latter found out about the way that
microsoft  strong arms computer manufactures into building and selling only
machines with windoze products installed. I also found out a hell of a lot of
other things about how microsoft does business and none were to my liking.
  Due to the fact that my first machine came with windoze 98 installed I have
a windoze 98 disk that I could use on any of the machines that I own now. It
would be a bit unstable, need to waste resources on virus protection and have
a number of security holes ECT but it would be capable of doing anything that
I wanted to do.
  However I would much rather spend a few dollars on a operating system done
by a honest decent company than continue to use stuff done by a dishonest
corrupt monolopy. I was involved in cooperate America long enough to
understand microsoft style business practices and I prefer not to support
that sort of company in any way shape or form!!!

   So yes it is about partly about money. I would rather spend a few dollars
on mandrake, support a good company and have a bit of a new learning curve
than to use windoze for free.

--
Marc
KM5KW