On Saturday 07 June 2003 03:35 am, Richard Urwin wrote:
> On Saturday 07 Jun 2003 4:50 am, Dennis Myers wrote:
> > As the subject implies, I am recording my old cassette tapes to make CDs.
> > Some of them are nearing 22 years old and I don't want to lose them. I am
> > using gramofile since I can't quite get audacity to record to harddrive.
> > Now the question is, what's the best way to do this, do the record as a
> > .wav and then burn as mp3s or record as mp3s and burn CDs as mp3s?  I
> > don't find any helpful guidelines as to what gives the best sound quality
> > in the end.
>
> recording and burning as .WAV gives you:
> loss-less recording
> CDs you can play on any CD player
>
> recording as .MP3 gives you:
> smaller files, so fewer CDs required
> recording with good quality should be able to match the tape quality.
> you can only play the CDs on the computer or MP3-aware players.
>
> recording as .WAV and burning as .MP3 gives you the worst of both, but you
> may have more control over the MP3 quality.
>
> I would record as .WAV and then burn as an audio CD, one disc per tape, or
> per tape side.
>
> > And is there a faster way to do the process than just play the tape
> > and record?
>
> no
>
> Also be sure you mute system sounds, or they might appear on the recording.

Thanks for the advice. This is a new adventure and I am finding that not only
are some of my tapes wearing out but old stereo equipment is getting a bit
old and cranky too. So this transfer may be just in time. It is going to take
a couple of weeks of off and on work.  Your advice is appreciated.
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842