On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 10:25:51AM +0100, John Richard Smith wrote:
> ajx wrote:
>
> >Graham Banks wrote:
> >

> >>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >><snip>

> >><snip>
> >>
> >>I currently have 1 of my computers running win98SE,
> >>win2000 (for program compatibility) and MDK9.1
> >>I use XOSL as a boot manager on this machine as I can
> >>setup passwords for the different oses and make booting
> >>the winblows partitions a little more secure.
> >>
> >>All I did was to install lilo on the MDK partition that
> >>contains the /boot. I then pointed XOSL to this partition,
> >>labelled it Mandrake (as the default os of course). I set
> >>the bios to boot only fron hard drive and viola! - works
> >>flawlessly (did so with MDK8.2 and MDK9.0 as well) I set
> >>lilo to boot after 2 seconds and removed the options for the
> >>windows boot options.
> >>

> But all you have done really is replace the windblows bootloader with
> this XOSL loader,and I'm guessing, in the MBR of whichever first
> partition is Windblows , and then installed lilo as a linux loader in
> chain loader fashion. Now, perhaps this XOSL loader is more secure than
> windblows own, but if so I doubt by much, since password configuration
> to both windblows has been a feature of W98 and W2K from the start.You
> only have to choose to set it. So why bother with all this XOSL stuff,
> just let lilo be installed in the MBR of which ever windblows OS is
> first and chain load as before.

I think he wants different combinations of FAT partitions to be visible
in DOS and Windows.  lilo will let the Microsoft systems, when booting,
make their own decisions as to what is visible, which is precisely what
he does not want.  Now there is a utility called letterassign that runs
in Windows, (and probably in Dos too, but I'm not sure) that allows you
to tell a Windows system what partitions it is to see, and which partitions
are to correspond to which so-called "drive" letters. I've used it with
Windows 98SE, and it seems to work.

-- hendrik