> People that use linux tend not to be of the "norm." I have been
> following linux since 1999 and have watched redhat and mandrake
> evolve. I have tried many different distros.
> When most people get on a computer, they want it to work the
> first time, every time. They do not want to have to think about
> what they are doing. "If it doesn't work, re-boot, that will fix
> it."  My first taste with computers was in 1976 when I was 17. I
> worked in a government computer room, babysitting a Honeywell 700
> mainframe. In 1979, I bought a radio shack TRS-80 model 1. I
> actually used a TRS-model 4D until 1993 because it did everything
> I needed it to do. I bought a pacard bell computer that had Dos
> 5.0 in it and windows 3.0 I had a huge hard drive (245 megs). I
> taught myself Dos because it wasn't too unlike trs-dos. Most
> people today have no idea what it was like a few years ago with
> computers. Command line stuff is like a foreign language to them
> and they don't want to take the time to find out and that is why
> windows have the advantage. IMOHO
>
> Walt

    Well I can understand how a lot of folks would have that view.
Not everyone enjoys learning about computers. A lot of people just
want to use them as a tool or a form of entertainment.
   After all I would guess that most of the people on this list
don't want to get a car and then have to learn to be a mechanic,
they just want to put un gas and drive.  However that does not
really give windoze much of a advantage. If a person was to get a
computer with Mandrake Linux preinstalled I would guess that it
would be as easy to use as a machine with windoze preinstalled and
maybe easyer, they would not have to add and update virus
protection software or deal with BSOD.
    Marc
    KM5KW
--