Hi Rikona,

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 10:26:38PM -0700, rikona wrote:

> Does wget allow sites to query hte 'browser' to get info about the
> user, or to run scripts? Any way privacy or security is reduced by
> using this?

Hmm, I don't think so but not for sure. The site can get the user-agent
string. I discovered that because I kept getting a permission denied
error when I tried pulling the individual pages from google. I figured
maybe google didn't want unknown agents or wget hitting those, so I
added the switch "-U Mozilla" to make google think it was Mozilla hitting
it. Works!

wget will let you use cookies and you can tell it where to look for
stored cookies. This is really my first time using it, but I'd say it's
pretty secure.

> TS> I would certainly appreciate your trying it out and giving some
> TS> feedback.
>
> I'd like to try it - I got it from you reference.
>
> I assume this could be extended to get other info as well. I'm liking
> Mandrake more and more. :-)

When I was testing this, I followed the link of one of the headlines and
some M$ exec was saying how open source discourages innovation. I had to
smile.

It's easy to pull stuff from the web using wget, the trick is parsing
out what you want. Luckily google news uses a style sheet and a class
for the headlines (except for on the front "top stories" page) so it's
easy to isolate those.

Todd