On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 08:33, Cody Harris wrote:

> True, but sometimes in the morning you don't want to excersize. lol.

I have several different logins to my system. I have a desktop/window
manager environment for JUST DOING. It works, it's already setup and
tweaked to my liking, I think of nothing when I login to that account -
I just DO, I just PRINT, I just COMPOSE or do what I want for enjoyment
or entertainment or whatever. I have another login for
testing/tweaking/breaking fixing. Needs no explaining. I have yet
another account for doing support work for my clients and for
administering my system. I have yet another account for TEST security
and generally mucking around. My level of thinking depends on what login
I use (or SU to).

My applications all work, my "fave" desktop is setup and runs without
hassle, it's ergonomically tweaked to my particular liking and my
particular "mood" of computing. It's clean, it shows me only the
information I want to know/need to know.

I get up at 4 a.m. every day to start my work day. I don't "think" until
the kids are in school (after 9 a.m.). I don't want to bother with
downloading virus definitions, running virus scans, rebooting, checking
for spyware, running registry checks and checking log files to see
what's been beating at my firewall.

The computer stays live 24/7 and I hate rebooting unless I either have
to, or the electricity cuts out. I refuse to use WinXP or Win2k any more
because there's always too much shit to deal with when I simply want to
do email and surf. I certainly don't like "the world" knowing what I'm
doing when I'm either doing my email or surfing. Yet another reason to
live in my happy linux world.

If I have to "think" about something, then it's done for me, by me, and
for a reason. Otherwise, as my wife is learning, things can run more
than smoothly, and can be simpler "than a Mac" if the need is there.

She REFUSES to think about what she's doing when she's plugging away at
things - and now that she's had a taste, she reckons it's just like OSX,
only that she can configure things moreso per HER tastes. She IS NOT
computer literate, mind you.

--
Sun Jun  8 13:35:00 EST 2003
 13:35:00 up 23:26,  3 users,  load average: 0.30, 0.09, 0.02

momentum, n.:
        What you give a person when they are going away.