At 03:15 PM 6/8/2003 +1000, you wrote:
On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 10:56, Cody Harris wrote:

> I think that's where someone should step in and make it usable to the
> average non-computer literate person. It took my awhile to learn how
> to do things. I think that could be solved with a little more
> automation and not painstakingly doing everything. urpmi(sp?) is
> great, but what about someone that doesn't know about it? Windows
> update if good because it says: "Here's a list of crap that we think
> will make your computer better". Even if it doesn't help. Of course,
> i'm saying this from experiance, so i'm most likly wrong. How many of
> you that have had wives that didn't know how to use the thing?

Look, 90% of the world DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO INSTALL WINDOWS - they buy a
computer with Windows already installed. IF they had to install it
themselves, it's a tough go - especially on a machine that requires all
kinda special drivers and proprietary BS to get it to work properly.

ON THAT SAME NOTE, when I sell a linux computer to a customer, it's
already installed and configured, the ONLY thing they have to do is to
put in their ISP's phone number and other settings for email, and well,
that's about that.

This is an "apples and oranges" thing now. Most of the world DOES NOT
install their OS. Someone does it for them And in having someone do it
for them, things are going to get done FOR them that they cannot or will
not do.

The ONLY OS that's brainlessly installed is MacOS.

Windows is NOT easy to install and configure. OS/2 is NOT easy to
install and configure. BeOS was NOT easy to install and configure. Any
version of Windows is not/has not/will not be easy to install and
configure. Linux is no different.

I can install windoze in my sleep. But i spend hours with Linux. Maybe that's just me.

Wait, sorry, I used to so Solaris setups on Sparcs, and that was
BRAINLESS as well - I only had to know how to configure the networking -
which I had to say "yes" to DHCP and then that was it.

If you had your first computer experiences with someone delivering a
system to you with everything already setup and configured, what would
your perceptions be?

I have customers that are literal "dummies", but yet, they're running
linux and they don't really know or care less either which way. They can
surf, do email, chat, play tunes and DVD's - they don't care. They don't
care that it's not Windows. Nothing breaks - so they don't have to worry
about it anyways. They never have questions for me or call with silly
problems because they can't have those same problems on the OS they're
running. Occasionally I explain how to download and install something
(just double click on the program and it installs!) - and that's about
it. No dramas.

I must be hiding in  hole because programs rarely install (easily) for me.

If you were brought up only using a Mac, every other OS is strange and
has problems. If you were brought up only using linux, every other OS is
strange4 and has problems. If you were brought up only using Windows,
every other OS is strange and has problems.

It's a matter of what you're familiar with and how you're basing your
perceptions, mate.

I'm tring my best. Like i've said in other threads, i wish i could switch to Linux, but i can't. When i get another computer, i'll use it. For now my only contact to the "Linux World" is this list and my other computer though SSH.

--
Sun Jun  8 15:05:01 EST 2003
 15:05:01 up 1 day, 56 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.20, 0.23, 0.13

The instruments of science do not in themselves discover truth.  And there are
searchings that are not concluded by the coincidence of a pointer and a mark.
                -- Fred Saberhagen, "The Berserker Wars"

-Cody Harris

+------------------------+
| Linux Rox My Sox!      |
| Check out HCHS!        |
| http://vectec.net     |
| Proud to use Mandrake Linux 8.1 as a server.  |
| Not proud to use Windows as a primary server. |
| Registered Linux user #315598      |
| Registered Linux Computer #200951  |
| Wrote on a Windoze Computer :(     |