On Tuesday June 10 2003 07:53 am, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> On Monday 09 June 2003 05:11 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> >     It'll probly never go to 64 even if it set higher.  Set
> > aperature to 4mb and it effectively disables sidebanding. Often
> > that cures many AGP problems.
>
> Tom, I went and "googlized" -agp sidebanding- and some of it got
> pretty hairy. Can you give an understandable definition? :-)

   No ;)  Can't say I understand it any better than you, but I can
copy'n paste ;)
"Sideband Addressing Mode - This mode offers the highest level of
AGP performance. In addition to allowing multiple outstanding
transactions and non-coherent access to main memory, Sideband
Addressing introduces a separate address/command bus, the Sideband
Address Port (SBA). Because the SBA and data buses are not
multiplexed, the graphic controller can use the SBA to make data
requests without interrupting the data bus."

    Now AGP compared to PCI video (AGP is just a subset spec of the
PCI bus), imposes more cpu, chipset and other hardware resource
loads. As always, 'highest' optimization can lead to problems as
well as benefits. Particularly with some cpu's, some motherboard
chipsets, and some ram, or various combinations of all those, or
overclocked hardware.  If disabling it eliminates or reduces video
problems, then AGP sidebanding doesn't like your hardware or how
it's configured.

   Then there's the linux kernel in the mix. I just read an article
this mornin about linux - P4, i875 chipset compatibility. One work
around was to disable AGP. From experience, I believe setting the
aperature to 4 in bios would work too. I wasn't too sure where they
were advocating puttin “agp_try_unsupported=1”. XF86Config-4 ?
http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/16/1610236&mode=thread