On Sunday June 15 2003 08:47 am, Chris wrote:
> On Sunday 15 June 2003 08:06 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > to find out if your board uses a contact probe, or reads a cpu
> > pin. Try runnin 'sensors-detect' again after lookin in bios and
> > writing down the values you see there for voltages, fans, and
> > temps.  You should see within +/- 10% of these values when
> > you're up and runnin.  Voltages might drop a little under load,
> > temp should be a few degrees C higher, several or more if
> > you're usin F, shortly after booting nito the OS.  Mass of the
> > heatsink's base has a lot to do with this.  If you're usin
> > 'lm80' in rc.local, try 'lm75', or vice versa.  lm75 should be
> > better for kt133 chipsets.
>
> Tom, went to the site for my mobo, and checked on which model
> supports hardware monitoring, seems mine doesn't (I assume this
> is what I'm looking for)?  My model is a FIC AZ11E.  If I'm
> looking at the wrong thing, let me know and I'll continue my
> search.

    Didn't sound right so I went to FIC's site and for the AZ11e it
says, "Hardware Monitoring: Temperature/ Voltage/ System fan
control monitoring".   Bottom line is what does it show in your
bios on the 'Health Monitoring' page?  If there's nothin in bios,
then the board (or bios) doesn't support hardware monitoring. If
you see monitoring values in bios, then it definitely does. 'Course
it wouldn't be the first time things are advertised but not
delivered ;)  Was this a ready made system? Often OEM ONLY Spec
boards drop features.

http://www.fica.com/site/html/products/mb/detail.asp?C_ID=240000068&cat_id=240000049

    OK, so I'm bored waitin for the race to come on TV ;) I d/l'd
the AZ11e's manual. Chapter 3, page 25, it shows the bios' "Health
Status" page. Sort'a bare bones, only the cpu temp, cpu fan speed,
and case fan speed are reported. No voltages. You won't get fan
speeds unless you've got 3 wire fans and the case fan is plugged
into the mobo header for it, not the PSU.  If you do have the fans
connected 3-wire to the mobo, edit sensors.conf and change the
divisor to 2 for both.  Try my suggestions above to get cpu temp
workin. I've had to run sensor-detect a few times in the past in
order to get the correct recognition. It won't hurt to run it
multiple times. I'm almost sure you should use 'modprobe lm75' in
rc.local regardless of what sensors-detect suggests.

    While you're lookin in the case, note the PSU watts and brand/
model number. Check it against AMD's recommended list. If it's not
there, and at least 300w, I suggest you invest in one that is. Most
come suitable for use with P4's too (special connector), so you'll
be able to use it in a future system. Whether you stick with AMD or
get a P4.