Derek Jennings wrote:

>Well apart from a warning about not being able to read your monitors
>capabilities from the hardware which could lead to not having many screen
>resolutions available your log shows that it all came up and ought to be
>working.
>Is this a twin head card? could the display be on the other port?

>To get X working you could use the Opensource "nv" driver.
>Just edit the relevant parts of your XF86Config-4 like this :-

>Section "Module"
>    Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
>    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
>    Load "extmod"
>    Load "type1"
>    Load "freetype"
>    Load "glx"
>EndSection

>Section "Device"
>    Identifier "device1"
>    VendorName "NVidia"
>    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
>    Driver "nv"
>    Option "DPMS"
>EndSection
>

>In fact I am wondering if some of those options you have in your current
>file
>might be the cause of your problem?
>You might like to try with this :
>
>Section "Device"
>    Identifier "device1"
>    VendorName "NVidia"
>    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
>    Driver "nvidia"
>    Option "DPMS"
>EndSection

Previously, during installation, I selected and specified Opensource nv driver as well
as opensource vesa driver with no glx or other additions, in each case the display
fails to start x, and I actually end up with a completely garbled screen with weird
ascii characters on it and a completely locked machine.  Mandrake does detect the
Nvidia board and recommends the Geforce4 nvidia driver and the machine doesn't get
locked up using it so that seems to be working better than opensource nv or vesa
drivers.  I might try it again when I get back home anyway, just to be sure but I
don't imagine that it will work better now, with a kernel patched for nvidia, than
before when I chose those options during the original installation.

The other options are either stock additions from the Mandrake install or have been
added due to the framebuffer issues.  For instance, the Nvagp option is to prevent agp
from being used since there have been some reported problems with agpgart on kernels
that have not been specifically patched for it.  I don't know whether mine has been
patched for it or not but just turned it completely off in case it wasn't.  The
ConnectedMonitor and IgnoreDisplayDevices options are there to prevent issues with
long startup times as the driver tries to auto detect which display is connected to
the card.  I have three connections on the card, a DVI port for LCD, a TV out and CRT
analog connection.  I am using the CRT analog connection with standard 15 pin
connector, so I disable DVI and TV in the options and specify that I am using the CRT
option.

I have found one small possible issue, the Mandrake specification for viewsonic A90
notes vertical of 50-180 Hz and the actual specification of the A90f (mine) is 50-150
Hz.  I am going to alter that and try it again tonight but given that I tried lower
resolutions that should have been under 150 Hz, I suspect that won't make much of a
difference.  Also, display resolutions are being autodetected on the CRT and that
should be correct, even if the config top ranges are out of whack.  Also, previously,
I have specified unsupported ranges on the monitor and in each case I get a display
error from the monitor itself telling me that the mode is unsupported by the monitor.
I don't see such a message now so I suspect that this is not the issue.

Anyway, I will try your suggestions just to be sure.