Hi again John.

I managed to do a copy and paste to my etc directory by copying the new fstab to my tmp directory as user and then copying and pasting it into my etc directory as root. What follows is what I got when I typed mount -a in a terminal as root.

mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: No medium found
mount: mount point 0 does not exist
mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
mount: mount point 0 does not exist

That means nothing to me but I'm hoping it will to you. I don't see anything there which appears to be my CDRW drive but then as I said , it means nothing, or I guess I should say very little, to me. My old SCSI CD ROM drive is listed in the hardware list as scd0 so I doubt that that is it. I also opened xcdroast and the CDRW does not appear there.
LTR  }}:{(
On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 11:43, John Richard Smith wrote:
Langsley T Russell wrote:

> Hi again John.
>
> I edited the fstab file as you suggested. The contents appears below.
>
> /dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1
> none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
> /mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount
> dev=/dev/fd0,fs=vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,codepage=850 0 0
> /mnt/scd0 /mnt/scd0 supermount
> dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,suid 0 0
> /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
> /dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

OK, Langsley, I think it's time to start dropping supermount, maybe you
have the same problem with supermount as me. S0 I would like you to copy
this script ,

/dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/scd0 /mnt/scd0 auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,noauto,umask=0,exec 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

into a fresh new text file on desktop , do this by moving the cursor
over a blank spot on desktop, rightmouse click down to create new - text
file, and name it fatab, then  move the cursor over the icon of the new
fstab textfile and roghtmouse click- down to open with text editor, and
choose one, say kwrite , and then sweep the text I have given you here
with the mouse cursor and move the cursor over the open fstab text file
left mouse click to position, and then press middle mouse button, and
all the copyied text will fill out onto the page, then save and exit.

You then have a new fstab file .
Go to /etc directory in konqueror window and rename the existing fstab
file fstab1, then copy your new fstab file to /etc directory.

in a terminal , type, mount -a

and see if that gives you a writer

test by putting up something like xcdroast and see if it appears in the
device list.

or type in terminal,

cdrecord -scanbus, and see what it says,

John