On Thursday 19 June 2003 13:15, you wrote:
> On Thursday 19 Jun 2003 5:23 pm, Crak600 - Michael wrote:
> > On Thursday 19 June 2003 12:03 pm, Curt Tresenriter wrote:

> > > I've noticed that too..think I've seen it on other lists also.
> > > Cust serv said "This drive's proven to be very solid"...
> >
> > wow, that hearing that makes me glad i didn't order Maxtor drives.
> > I went with WD and am waiting for a 2nd one right now.  has anyone
> > heard anything bad about the WD drives?  my current one was new
> > when installed and has been in the computer for 2-3 months with no
> > problems so far.  Thanks.
>
> Yup - you should hear what some people say about WD.  I've come to the
> conclusion that there is no such thing as a good hard-drive
> manufacturer.  There are scare stories about all of them.  So, you
> have to buy something.....
>
> Anne

In my experience working with a wide range of hardware, Maxtor is just about
the bottom of the barrel.  Seagate (Barracuda IV is excellent) is the top of
the line for IDE drives, and WD isn't bad at all.  When all you go by is the
complaints you hear, everything will sound relatively equal, but working with
a large quantity and a wide range of drives you start to see distinct tiers
in quality, with Maxtor coming out on bottom of virtually any head-to-head
comparison.   I had a frequent flier that used to get confused about Maxtor
vs. Matrox, one being a terrible hard drive manufacturer and the other being
an exceptional (non-3d) graphics card manufacturer.  He would come in with
these new hard drives to be installed and I would have to re-explain every
time that they had nothing to do with one another.  Maxtor bad, Matrox good.

Isaac